Friday, October 15, 2010

Excess Baggage

I was at a Washington D.C. airport, thought it looked more like the O'Hare International Airport. It was very busy. I don't remember if I was arriving or waiting on a flight.



But I was there... Wearing a dog tag that I still have from long ago. A dog tag with jumbled up letters of an ex-girlfriend's name. It wasn't a mistake. That was her nickname. And I used to wear this dog tag all the freaking time. But it's been years since it's been around my neck. It was definitely the most powerful and emotion-evoking symbol. At the airport, I met up with a friend that I haven't seen or talked to since sophomore year of high school. It was strange running into him at the airport. The airport turned into a theater as I walked and I watched a performance. I barely remember that part but I remember the airport and that damn dog tag...

Symbols

Airport:
To see an airport in your dream, symbolizes birth (arrivals) and death (departures). If the airport is busy, then it signifies the desire for freedom, high ideals, ambition, and hopes. It is an indication that you are approaching a new departure in your life. Some new idea is taking off or is ready to take off. You may be experiencing a new relationship, new career path or new adventure.

Chain:
To see chains in your dream, signify your need to break free from a routine, old idea, or a relationship. If you are being chained, then some part of you is being forcefully put in check. You are being held back from what you really want to do.

Baggage:
To see or carry baggage in your dream, refers to the problems and things that you are carrying on your shoulders and weighing your down. You feel that you are being held back by past emotions or problems. Alternatively, baggage symbolizes your identity.

INTERPRETATION:
This dream is easy to interpret. I know exactly what it means. Unfortunately...

The Airport represents my life. And because I wasn't sure if I was departing or not, means that something is holding me back from taking off. I'm carrying excess baggage. I still have that dog tag. Though, I haven't worn it in years, I'm still wearing it metaphorically. It once was a love token, a gift I gave her when I returned from Florida. Now it's a burden.. with a weight as heavy as The One Ring that Frodo carried.

My friend from high school is just another symbol of 'the past' and that chain around my neck makes me feel like a prisoner to the past. I wanna break out.
I wanna break free.
I wanna be free from the past and the penalty..
of that time that hurt so deeply,
I wanna think better of myself and see
my true value and versatility.

I named this dream after a hidden track on Staind's Dysfunction album called "Excess Baggage" found near the end of the song Spleen. It's one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard. I won't post the lyrics but they hit home. I haven't heard that song in years.. and I'm not about to start listening to it again. I've got a lot of work to do to become whole. I'll do what I can but ultimately it's not in my hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. I really enjoy reading your posts

Osprey said...

Thank you! It's great to get some feedback.